Monday, January 31, 2011

My "BIG" little boys

The other day I had a realization. I was sitting there, watching my boys play and it dawned on me how big they actually are. Life has been very busy this last year. Summer was a whirlwind of events and work, fall was full of moving, then the hectic holdiay season ensued. I feel like I havent had much time to just sit and simply enjoy my surroundings. This pregnancy has given me a great excuse to do a lot of nothing:) I have had a lot of down time, simply because I dont have the energy to do much of anything. (Luckily that is looking like its changing the last week or two....starting to almost feel normal again) But all this down time really gave me some perspecive on how fast life is truly whizzing by. I realized that I havent really kept up on the boys' progression and milestones that they have hit this past year, and there have been quite a few. I wanted to take some time and document these changes.

The boy that has gone through the most changes this year is my little Ko Man. He started 2010 as just a baby, and has evolved into a little boy all in this past year. I cannot believe his 3rd birthday is approaching. I still consider him 'my baby'... although he is quick to put me in my place if I call him that. He has always been my little snuggle bug, and I am lucky to still get a few cuddle moments once in awhile. His vocabulary has improved immensely. He was just beginning to talk at this time last year, now he is able to almost carry on a conversation (needs a mommy interpreter at times) He is also COMPLETELY potty trained, and has been since November. He really shocked me with how well he adjusted. I was concerned because he didnt show the same interest Kason did and he didnt have any desire at all. All it took was a special trip to the store to buy some new undies, and within a week or two he was potty trained. He even is wearing undies at night and has only had 1 accident. I am so extremely proud of him!!!! It is awesome to not have to change or BUY diapers or pull-ups. Although its short lived, it is wonderful, I will greatly appreciate this next 7 months of no diapers!
Last, but not least, Kohen is no longer in a crib and is in a big boy bed! The transition took place also around November. I was hesitant because he was making no attempt to escape his crib so I didnt want to create unecessary drama, but once he potty trained, it was inevitable. He has to be able to get up if he needs to go in the middle of the night and I didnt want him to have to make a dangerous climb out of the crib. So off went the side of the crib. He was SO proud of his new bed! But.... this is when my great sleeper turned into a nightmare at bedtime. To make matters worse, we decided to move the boys into the same room once we found out we were pregnant. I figured we were going through an adjustment anyway, lets kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Then when baby arrival gets closer, we will already be set. So we now have the boys in bunkbeds. Some nights are good, others almost put Nick and I over the edge. We have to take turns to avoid insanity. But I think we are making progress and I am confident that by summer we will be through this transition. (If not, I made need some psychiatric help!) Even though I get mad at the boys, I sometimes chuckle to myself because I find myself saying the same thing to them that my parents used to say to Kiley and I when we wouldnt go to sleep. I guess kids will be kids!

Then there is Kason. What an amazing young little man he is! It is so wonderful to be having such postive experiences with him. He was NOT an easy baby, and was even worse as a toddler. With age though, noticeably since his 4th birthday, his behavior has leveled out and he has become my best friend. He still has moments of intensity and irrationality, but they are few and far between. And when he is rested and at his best, there is no better behaved, or sweeter boy in the world. He has such a big heart and is so sensitive. He has become quite protective of me, especially now that I am pregnant. I feel like the safest mommy in the world with these 3 boys to look out for me (counting Nick as #3, not the baby...still thinking pink!!) He has also become such a helper around the house doing chores and little favors for me when I need him to. I am prepping him for the big brother role. He will do a great job! I am so proud of him!

It amazes me how much can change in just 1 year, and also how fast the years are going. I am excited for all of the changes that are in store for our family in 2011! Mostly to meet this little baby and to see the Pintler family grow!

No comments: